onsdag 13 mars 2013

A quick look at FATE Accelerated

We all got a surprise this night (although it was announced) when the condensed form of FATE Core arrived in our inboxes - FATE Accelerated Edition. Instead of the 300+ pages of FATE Core we have a product with approximately 40 pages. But what does it contain – I thought I'd tell you, after a quick read.

If you've read FATE before, I think you'll find it refreshing. The rules are exemplary short and well written. Instead of having skills we now have "approaches". Approaches are skills-as-adjectives rather than FATE Core's skills-as-verbs as +Jack Gulick put it on G+. It simplifies and sounds fun too – instead of the skill list you have the six approaches: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick and Sneaky. 

We can all surmise how you could use them to create different character types and styles. For my part, I liked them so much, I actually thought you should (or could) devote one of your aspects in FATE Core to an approach.

Well, that's the big change I noted - otherwise its mostly reduction of stuff from FATE Core - and the only part I really miss, is Extras. In the GM part you have a description of Mooks (NPCs) that are actually bad at something and get a modification of -2 for certain stuff – something that is new to me too.

The only real problem I can see with the Accelerated edition is the lack of setting, since the tools to create a setting ar somewhat lacking compared to Fate Core. On the other hand – there will probably be a huge amount of FATE settings by the time the Accelerated edition is in print.

Finally – I do think FAE will be a good starter-RPG and an excellent intro to FATE.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar